You may have seen a bunch of new faces walking around campus this year, and wonder “Hmm..who is that person?” So The Talon is here to help! Our new teacher spotlight focused on the new English teacher, Mr. Lowdermilk. As some of you may know it’s not his first time on the Chaminade campus, his wife is our campus minister, Mrs. Ortega! So for anybody looking to learn a little more about the new additions to our campus, here is the down low on Mr. Lowdermilk.
1. Why did you come to Chaminade?
I’ve long admired this school for welcoming me and my family into the Marianist community.
2. What did you do before Chaminade?
I taught English and coached the water polo and swimming teams at Cathedral High School for the last six years.
3. What are some tips you have for people in your class?
“Don’t write this down, but I find Milton probably as boring as you find Milton. Mrs. Milton found him boring too. He’s a little bit long-winded, he doesn’t translate very well into our generation and his jokes are terrible.”—Dave Jennings.
4. Do you have any hobbies or interesting facts about yourself you would like students to know?
I’ve been sky diving, ridden a bull for 8 seconds, survived a submission hold from a professional MMA fighter and suffered a dancer’s break.
5. What is your favorite bribe gift from students?
I can’t be bought—unless it’s snicker doodle cookies.
6. What were you like in high school?
In high school, I was on the swim team and it consumed my every thought, word and action.
7. And finally, if you were stuck on an island for the rest of your life what 3 things would you bring with you?
Ms. Ortega, Ben and Caleb—or a harpoon, a big hat and some swim goggles.